Uganda is home to several primate species and the famous being the two great apes – Mountain gorillas and Chimpanzees. This trip will bring you face to face with these great apes in the rainforests of Kibale and the Bwindi impenetrable forest.
- Chimpanzee tracking
- Nature walk in Bigodi Swamp
- Crater Lakes
- Gorilla trekking
- Photo session at the Equator
Day 1: Welcome to the Pearl of Africa
On arrival at Entebbe international Airport, a representative of Kagera Safaris will be eagerly waiting to receive you and transfer you to your hotel.
Journey time – 20 minutes
- Upmarket – Hotel No 5
- Mid-range – The Boma
- Budget – African Roots Guesthouse
Day 2: Transfer to the home of chimpanzees
After a breakfast and a short city tour, we leave for Kibale forest – the primate capital of primates. The trip takes you through the countryside arriving at your lodge later that afternoon after stop over for lunch in the beautiful Fortportal.
Journey time – 5 hours
Meal plan – B, L & D
- Up market – Papaya Lake Lodge
- Mid-range – Turaco TreeTop
- Budget – Chimpanzee Guesthouse
Day 3: Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale forest
After an early breakfast, you will be transferred for briefing before you start your chimp trek. Your experienced ranger guide will lead you as you hike through the tropical forest for an unforgettable and rewarding experience in search of man’s closest relatives the Chimpanzees.
After lunch, you will take a Swamp walk in Bigodi community – proceeds from this help in community development. This walk through the wetland will bring you close to nature. You might have sightings of red tailed monkeys, Mangabeys, several bird species and butterflies.
PS: You have an option of a chimpanzee habituation experience. This activity allows you to spend more time in the forest learning more about the life of chimps, their habitat, food etc.
B, L & D
Day 4: Transfer to Bwindi impenetrable forest for Gorilla trekking
After the visit to Ishasha, we leave for Bwindi Impenetrable National Park – the home to half the world’s remaining mountain gorillas. Bwindi impenetrable forest is a UNESCO World Heritage Site hosting numerous tree species, birdlife, primates, mammals, insects etc.
Journey time – 3 hours
Meal plan – B, L & D
- Up market – Bwindi Lodge
- Mid-range – Lake Mulehe Safari Lodge
- Budget – Ichumbi Gorilla Lodge (standard rooms)
Day 5: Uganda Gorilla Trekking
Gorillas are amazing creatures, with so much energy yet gentle therefore commonly known as the gentle giants of Bwindi. Your driver guide will transfer you to the briefing area from where you are allocated gorilla families and a ranger guide to lead your in the forest. Once you locate the gorillas with help of your guide and trackers, you are allowed to stay with them for only one hour. The gorilla trek can take anything from few minutes to several hours depending on where they nested the previous night. We advise that you take along a porter to help with your day pack and also assist you as you walk through the steep areas in the forest.
B, L & D
Day 6: End of your Uganda Primates Safari
This marks the end of your Uganda primates Safari. Your drive guide will start the journey to Kampala and proceed to Entebbe for your outbound flight home. You will have several stopovers with a main stop at the Equartor monument for photo sessions and last minute shopping.
B, L & D
Gorilla trekking tips
- Mountain gorillas sometimes nest far from the start of your gorilla trek, you should pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden – designated time and place will be communicated.
- Bwindi being a tropical forest, it can rain anytime so we encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a small charge.
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Chimpanzee trekking
- Park entrance fees
- Boat ride
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation
- Service of an English-speaking driver guide
- All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
- Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Tips to porters and driver/ guide
Other Uganda Gorilla and Chimpanzee Safaris