This 3 days Fly-in Uganda Gorilla Trekking Safari going to either Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National park will bring you face to face with the massive mountain gorillas.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage site located in the south western part of Uganda covering an area of 321 km2. The forest lies at an altitude between 1160 m -2607 m above sea level and is famous for being home to over 450 mountain gorillas. Mgahinga gorilla national park is found in the south western corner of Uganda bordering Rwanda and DR Congo. It is a part of the Virunga volcanoes that make up the famous Virunga massif shared between Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo.
- Gorilla trekking
Day 1: Flight to Bwindi forest or Mgahinga park for gorilla trekking safari
Transfer to the airport for your flight out to either Kihihi or Kisoro airstrip from where you will be picked and transferred to your lodge. Since most flights are in the morning, you have an opportunity to take on a community walk in the vicinity of the lodge or simply enjoying reading or resting at the lodge.
Flight time – 1.5 hours
Meal plan – L & D
Up market – Buhoma Lodge / Gahinga Lodge
Mid-range – Buhoma Haven Lodge / Ichumbi Gorilla Lodge
Day 2: Uganda Gorilla trekking
Your driver guide will pick you up from the lodge and transfer you to the briefing point to start your gorilla trek at 8 am. On arrival at the briefing place, you will be welcomed and given seats until time of briefing as your driver guide registers you with the ranger on duty to be allocated a gorilla family. You will eventually meet your ranger guide and start your gorilla trek in the jungles of Bwindi.
We advise you to hire a porter to carry your day pack because sometimes the gorillas could be located a distance far from the start of your trek, they can also help push or pull you along the steep slippery paths in the forest.
Meal plan – B, L & D
Day 3: Flight to Entebbe International Airport
Today you drive back to Kampala. Have lunch at the Equator and enjoy picture sessions in both the northern and southern hemispheres. This will mark the end of your lovely Uganda holiday.
Meal plan – B & L
Gorilla trekking tips
- Mountain gorillas sometimes nest far, you should pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden – designated time and place will be communicated.
- Bwindi being a tropical forest, it can rain anytime so we encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a small charge.
- Gorilla tracking permit
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation for two nights
- Service of an English-speaking driver guide
- All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
- Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Tips to porters and driver/ guide