On this Uganda safari, you will trek chimpanzees in Kibale National Park as they search for food in the wild. After that experience, you proceed to Queen Elizabeth national Park – the medley of wonders for an encounter with the Big 4 where you will have a game drive in Kasenyi and a refreshing boat safari on Kazinga channel, which connects Lake George to Lake Edward. Finally end the tour will end in Lake Mburo national park where you have an option of a boat ride or a nature walk in the park.
- Chimpanzee tracking in Kibale National Park
- Nature walk in Bigodi Swamp
- Game drive in Queen Elizabeth and Lake Mburo National Parks
- Boat cruise in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Crater Lakes
- Boat ride in Lake Mburo National Park
- Photo session at the Equator
Day 1: Transfer to Kibale Forest National Park
Today you start journey to Kibale forest is found in western Uganda for the ultimate chimpanzee trekking experience. Kibale forest is known as the primate capital of the world because of its high concentration of primates. The journey will take you through the countryside with colorful roadside markets and plantations before arriving at your lodge near the forest.
Apart from your bathroom stopover and those for stretching, your main a stopover will be for lunch in Fort portal town – the tourism capital of Uganda because of its beautiful landscapes and attractions. After a Ugandan lunch, your driver guide will transfer you to your lodge for overnight either near the forest or in the crater lakes region.
Journey time – 5 hours
Meal plan – L & D
- Up market – Papaya Lake Lodge
- Mid-range – Turaco Treetop
- Budget – Chimpanzee Guesthouse
Day 2: Chimpanzee Trekking in Kibale Forest
After an early breakfast, your driver guide will transfer you to the starting point where you will receive briefing from the ranger guide concerning chimpanzee trekking. After a short briefing, you will be divided into groups and each given a ranger guide to take you on the chimpanzee trekking in the forest.
Spend the morning trekking the exuberant chimp families in the Kibale forest. Watch the chimpanzees as they swing from the branches in the canopy high, feed, and play.
In the afternoon, take a walk in the Bigodi community and interact with the locals. Get a coffee experience, banana beer making experience, basketry and listen from the medicine man about how he deals with different diseases.
B, L & D
Day 3: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park
Today after breakfast your driver guide will pick you and you start journey to Queen Elizabeth National Park passing through the Crater lakes region (depending on road condition) and enjoying views of the mystical Rwenzori mountain ranges. The journey from Kibale national park to Queen Elizabeth national park is short and therefore you will arrive in time for lunch at your lodge.
After lunch, have a relaxed afternoon looking forward to the next day’s activities or have a short game drive.
Journey time – 2 hours
Meal plan – Breakfast, lunch & Dinner
- Up market – Kyambura Gorge Lodge
- Mid-range – Twin Lakes Safari Lodge
- Budget – Elephant Hab lodge
Day 4: Game drive and Boat Safari in Queen Elizabeth national park
Queen Elizabeth national park has the highest biodiversity of any protected area in East Africa. After an early morning breakfast, your driver guide will pick and you to start the morning game drive in our custom made vehicles for game viewing. The best times for viewing game is morning when the predators are looking out for prey and before they go back into hiding. You will transfer to the Kasenyi mating grounds in search of of Lions, Leopards, Buffaloes, Elephants, water-bucks and Uganda Kobs etc with beautiful back drop of the Rwenzori mountains.
In the afternoon, enjoy a launch cruise on Kazinga Channel – towards Lake Edward in the park. You will have opportunities of watching different animals as they come to water and numerous species of birds.
B, L & D
Day 5: Transfer to Lake Mburo National Park
The day starts with breakfast but more relaxed than the previous day. The driver guide will pick you and you start the journey to Lake Mburo National Park in Mbarara. Lake Mburo national is the smallest of the Savannah park in Uganda.
You will arrive in the park and take a boat trip or nature walk with a ranger guide. Depending on location of your lodge, you might first check in and later drive to the park.
Journey time – 3 hours
Meal plan – B, L & D
- Up market – Mihingo Lodge
- Mid-range – Rwakobo Rock
- Budget – Eagles Nest
Day 6: End of your Ugandan chimpanzee and wildlife Safari
This will mark the end to your Uganda chimpanzee trekking and wildlife safari. You will have a short game drive on the way out of the park. Stop over by the Equator monument for photos, souvenirs and lunch before proceeding to the airport for your flight back home or retire to your hotel.
Journey time – 4 hours
B & L
Chimpanzee trekking tips
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the chimpanzee is forbidden
- We encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Chimpanzee tracking permit
- Park entrance fees
- Boat ride
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation for two nights
- Service of an English-speaking driver guide
- All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
- Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Tips to porters and driver/ guide