Mgahinga gorilla national park is located in south western Uganda on the border with Rwanda and DR Congo and home to the Virunga volcanoes shared between these countries. It is the smallest of all Uganda national parks but filled with engaging activities for any outdoor enthusiastic visitor. On this gorilla trekking and golden monkey trekking safari you will trek mountain gorillas and golden monkeys in the Virunga. If you are interested in hiking any of the Volcanoes i.e. Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhavura, you can choose to extend your stay. It takes a day to hike to the top of each of these Volcanoes. You can also extend your stay if you want to embark on the Batwa trail in this park giving you a glimpse of how they lived and co-existed with wild animals in this park.
- Gorilla trekking
- Golden monkey trekking
- Equator monument
Day 1: Transfer to Kisoro – Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Today after your breakfast your driver guide will transfer you to Kisoro – Uganda at the base of the Virunga Volcanoes. Enjoy the winding roads of the ‘thousand hills’ and magnificent views of the Volcanoes. You will spend the afternoon at leisure in preparation for all the trekking and hiking in the days to come.
- 9 hours via Entebbe ( there is an option of 1,5 hrs flight from Entebbe)
- 4 hours via Kigali
Meal plan – lunch & Dinner
- Up market – Mt Gahinga Lodge
- Mid-range – Bwindi Jungle lodge
- Budget – Lake Chahafi Lodge
Day 2: Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga Gorilla national park
Mgahinga gorilla national park in south western Uganda was primarily protected as a conservation measure to the endangered mountain gorillas and golden monkeys among other wildlife. Today you will be transferred to the briefing point inside the park to learn about how to behave and interact with the gorillas in the wild. The ranger guide will then lead you to start your gorilla trek in the park. After hiking some distance depending on the location of the gorillas, you will sight them and spend up to 1 hour with them watching them interact with each other and have their feeding and siesta time .
After your one hour with the gorillas, you will then start your descent back to the briefing point and later your lodge. The experience in this jungle and meeting these enormous creatures will stay with you for life even as you take in the beautiful scenery in his area. Please note that Mgahinga Gorilla national park is in the Volcanoes you need to be relatively fit to enjoy the experience.
Day 3: Golden Monkey trekking in Mgahinga gorilla national park
Today morning after an early breakfast, your driver guide will transfer you to the briefing point where the golden monkey trekking starts. Just like the previous day, you receive a briefing from the ranger guide who will share information on what to expect while in the Virunga volcanoes searching for the golden monkeys. After this short brief, you will then start your hike up in search of the golden monkeys, which are only in the Virunga Volcanoes. You will be joined by porters to help those interested and an enforcement officer to help in case you meet the wild buffaloes and Elephants which can be dangerous. They are swift in their movements unlike the gorillas and you will follow them as they move to feed.
You are only allowed to spend 1 hour with the golden monkey monkeys before you start your descent back to the starting point and your lodge. They love feeding on bamboo shoots among other foods like fruits, vegetation and sometimes ants.
Day 4: Departure via Kigali – Rwanda
We hope you have had an adventure filled stay exploring Mgahinga gorilla national park. Today morning after your breakfast, the driver guide will transfer you to Kigali city and you proceed to the airport for your flight home. Thank you for visiting Uganda with us.
Gorilla trekking tips
- Mgahinga gorilla national park comprises of Volcanoes which requires hiking you should pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden. Your ranger guide will communicate designated time and place for such.
- We encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a minimum fee of $20 or 50,000 Ugx
- Gorilla tracking permit
- Golden monkey trekking permit
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation for three nights
- Service of an English-speaking driver guide
- All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
- Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Tips to porters and driver/ guide