Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda happens in Nyungwe forest national park with 2 groups habituated for trekking. Gishwati-Mukura national park also has a small group of chimpanzees but these are not yet famous for trekking. Chimpanzee trekking happens early morning so that you are able to find the chimps as they start their day feeding and grooming each other.
Just like gorilla trekking, chimpanzee trekking starts with a briefing from the ranger guides where they share information of the forest where the chimps reside and how you should behave while in the forest plus expected distances of travel and any other sightings you might encounter while on this trip.
Chimpanzee trekking tips
- The age limit for chimp trekking is 15 years and above
- You will need water proof hiking boots/shoes
- Wear trousers and long sleeved shirts to avoid stinging from plants and insects
- We recommend you use Insect repellent
- Carry bottled water for drinking