In Rwanda, gorilla trekking happens in Volcanoes national park. The park is the setting for the famous ‘Gorillas in the Mist’ a movie about Dian Fossey’s work in conservation of gorillas. Rwanda has 10 families available for gorilla trekking.Gorilla trekking starts with a briefing from the ranger guides at the park headquarters where you join all the people looking to do a gorilla trek. After this experience you are allocated different gorilla families. Some of the families are near the briefing area and other groups require driving a distance before the start of the hike. Regardless of the gorilla group allocated to you, you will all be able to sight the gorilla oftern found enjoying their breakfast and the little ones playing about.
Gorilla trekking safari preparation tips
- Carry along rain gear
- Insect repellent
- Recommended clothing – long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect and plant stings.
- Sturdy hiking boots are essential, especially ones you have used before.
- Drinking Water, however eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is strictly forbidden – your guide will communicate designated time and place.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day-pack for a small charge.
- You will not be allowed to trek gorillas if you have communicable disease like flu or cough
Mountain gorillas live at high altitude and this may cause difficulties in hiking up for some visitors. You should pace yourself, walk slowly, drink plenty of water and prepare adequately for this experience. Kagera safaris will purchase your gorilla trekking permits for you in advance for proper planning.