Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris happen in Volcanoes national park. The park is the setting for the famous ‘Gorillas in the Mist’ a movie about Dian Fossey’s work in conservation of gorillas. Rwanda is one of three African countries where mountain gorillas can be found. Gorilla trekking in Rwanda is something everyone should undertake at least once in their lives.
Rwanda has 12 gorilla families available for gorilla trekking. Gorilla trekking starts with a briefing from the ranger guides at the park headquarters where you join all the people looking to do a gorilla trek. After this experience you are allocated a gorilla family to trek and a ranger guide to lead you. Some of the families are near the briefing area and other groups require driving to the trail head from where you enter the park. Regardless of the gorilla group allocated to you, you will all be able to sight the gorillas which are often found feeding and the little ones playing.
Furthermore, the Volcanoes National Park is undoubtedly Rwanda’s most popular park and it has a lot to offer in terms of sights and activities. You can combine gorilla trekking with a few other activities for diversity and excitement. Visitors to the Volcanoes National Park can also undertake golden monkey trekking, volcano climbing, and hiking, Rwanda birding safaris, nature walks, cave explorations, among many others.
Mountain gorillas live at high altitude and this may cause difficulties in hiking up for some visitors. You should pace yourself, walk slowly, drink plenty of water and prepare adequately for this experience. Kagera safaris will purchase your gorilla trekking permits in advance for proper planning.
Rwanda Gorilla Safari Tips
- Carry along rain gear
- Insect repellent
- Recommended clothing – long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect and plant stings.
- Sturdy hiking boots are essential, especially ones you have used before.
- Drinking Water, however eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is strictly forbidden – your guide will communicate designated time and place.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day-pack for a small charge.
- You will not be allowed to trek gorillas if you have communicable disease like flu or cough
Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tours
2 Days Rwanda Gorilla trekking safari