This 3 days Uganda Gorilla Habituation Safari in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park will bring you face to face with the massive gorillas in the thick jungles of Bwindi. Mountain gorillas have to undergo habituation before gorilla trekking can happen – this is a process where they get used to seeing humans so that they are not aggressive or run away.
- Photo session at the Equator monument
- Gorilla Habituation
Day 1: Travel to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Your day will start after an early breakfast and you will embark on your gorilla safari southwards to Bwindi impenetrable forest. The journey will offer you highway sights of rural and semi-urban Uganda with several fruit & vegetable markets along the roads, craft and drum makers and a stop at Uganda’s Equator monument where you will cross to the southern hemispheres. After the experience at the Equator, the drive will continue with a stop over in Mbarara for lunch before proceeding to Bwindi with short bathroom stopovers and picture sessions of landscape and other attractions.
Journey time– 8 hours
Meal plan – L & D
- Up market – Clouds Mt Gorilla Lodge
- Mid range – Lake Mulehe Safari Lodge
- Budget – Ichumbi Gorilla Lodge (Standard Rooms)
Day 2: Gorilla habituation Experience
Gorilla habituation experience happens in the southern sector of Bwindi impenetrable national park called Rushaga. After breakfast, the driver guide will transfer you to the briefing point where you will receive instructions on how to conduct yourself while in the forest.
The habituation experience gives you more time learning about the life of gorillas in the forest and in total you are allowed to spend 4 hours in the presence of gorillas. The idea is to get gorillas a little bit used to humans in their habitat to allow for gorilla trekking in the future. After this experience, your driver guide will transfer you back to the lodge.
Meal plan – B, L & D
Day 3: Transfer to Entebbe
After this exciting experience with gorillas in the wild, you are ready to start journey back to Kampala/Entebbe by road or Air depending on how you traveled. We do hope you had an amazing time learning about these gentle giants and subsequently contributing to their conservation.
Meal plan: B & L
Gorilla trekking tips
- Mountain gorillas sometimes nest far from the start of your gorilla trek, pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden – designated time and place will be communicated.
- Bwindi being a tropical forest, it can rain anytime so we encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a small charge.
Included in the Price
Gorilla habituation permit
Ground transport per 4WD custom
Bottled water in the safari vehicle
Full board accommodation as mentioned in the itinerary
Service of an English-speaking driver guide
All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
Tips to porters and driver/ guide