On your gorilla safari in Uganda, you will trek through the Bwindi impenetrable forest National Park looking for the rare and endangered mountain gorillas. Drive through Ishasha – the home of climbing lions on towards Queen Elizabeth national Park also known as the medley of wonders because of its rich biodiversity.
- Gorilla tracking in Bwindi Impenetrable forest
- Game drives Queen Elizabeth and Lake Mburo National Parks
- Boat cruises in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Tree Climbing Lions of Ishasha
- Boat ride in Lake Mburo National Park
- Photo session at the Equator
Day 1: Welcome to the Pearl of Africa
On arrival at Entebbe international Airport, a representative of Kagera Safaris will be eagerly waiting to receive you and transfer you to your hotel.
Journey time – 20 minutes
- Mid-range – Best Western Garden Hotel
- Budget – African Roots Guesthouse
Day 2: Travel to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Start the journey to the home of the gentle giants in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park for the Ultimate gorilla experience. The journey is long but rewarding when you focus on the gorilla experience and enjoy the sights en-route. We shall have several stopovers along the way eventually arriving in the park later that evening. (There is an option of flying to Bwindi impenetrable forest).
Journey time – 8 hours
Meal plan – Breakfast, lunch & Dinner
- Up market – Bwindi Lodge
- Mid-range – Haven lodge
- Budget – Buhoma community rest camp
Day 3: The Ultimate Gorilla trekking Experience
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park is a rewarding experience which takes you through the thick impenetrable forest in search of gorillas. The experience hiking through the forest is rewarding even before you sight the gorillas, you might sight several other primates like red-tailed monkeys.
Today morning after an early breakfast together with packed lunch, your driver guide will transfer you to the starting point where you will receive a briefing from the park ranger guide on how to prepare for the gorilla trek. Your ranger guide will lead the way in the forest first on well cleared paths but soon you get off to the bushes and thickets where he will help to clear them with a cycle he carries with him. Soon you will be in sight of these enormous creatures.
B, L & D
Day 4: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park
After your breakfast your driver guide will pick you and you start the journey to Queen Elizabeth national park – the most famous and most visited park in Uganda.
The drive will take you through Ishasha – the southern sector of Queen Elizabeth national park. It is famous with the tree climbing lions which are said to climb fig trees after their meals to rest, experience the winds but to also easily watch their prey because of the high savanna grass. There are many theories as to why they climb the trees, you will learn more from your tour guide as you do game drive. Along the lions, there are other animals like Elephants, Buffaloes, Kobs, Topi, water bucks and several bird species.
Journey time – 3 hours
Meal plan – Breakfast, lunch & Dinner
- Up market – Kyambura gorge Lodge
- Mid-range – Twin lakes lodge
- Budget – Bush Lodge
Day 5: Game drive and Boat Safari in Queen Elizabeth national park
Queen Elizabeth national park is home to numerous flora and fauna. The great scenery of ridges, forest and crater lakes with the Rwenzori mountains in the back ground make for a great game drive.
The numerous wildlife provides great opportunities for game viewing is morning when the predators are looking out for prey and before they go back into hiding. You will start early morning using a car that allows the roof to top up so the opportunities of watching the game are maximized. Enjoy the exotic and rare species which include Elephants, Lions, Leopards, Buffaloes, and Uganda Kobs etc. In the afternoon enjoy a launch cruise on Kazinga Channel – towards Lake Edward where you will watch different wild animals that come to its waters and those that live therein and numerous species of birds.
B, L & D
Day 6: End of your Ugandan Gorilla and Wildlife Safari
Today after breakfast, you will transfer to Kampala and proceed to Entebbe international airport for your flight back home. You will have a stopover for lunch at the Equator monument. Thank you for exploring Uganda with us.
B & L
Gorilla trekking tips
- Mountain gorillas sometimes nest far from the start of your gorilla trek, you should pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden – designated time and place will be communicated.
- Bwindi being a tropical forest, it can rain anytime so we encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a small charge.
- Gorilla tracking permit
- Park entrance fees
- Boat ride
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation for two nights
- Service of an English-speaking driver guide
- All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
- Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Tips to porters and driver/ guide