This 3 days Uganda Gorilla Trekking Safari in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park will bring you face to face with the massive giants of Bwindi as you embark on the gorilla trek in the thick jungles of Bwindi.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is located in the south western part of Uganda covering an area of 321 km2 and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The forest lies at an altitude between 1160 m -2607 m above sea level and is famous for being home to over 300 mountain gorillas. Your ranger guide will lead the way as you walk after him until you locate the gorillas, you are allowed to spend a maximum of one hour with the gorillas after locating them and thereafter you start your trek back to the briefing point to receive you certificates. The experience is like no other looking in the eye of a gorilla especially the silverback with its suspicious protective look.
- Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable forest
- Photo session at the Equator
- Optional – community walk
Day 1: Travel to Bwindi impenetrable forest for the Uganda gorilla trekking safari
Your day will start after an early breakfast and you will embark on your gorilla safari southwards to Bwindi impenetrable forest. The journey will offer you highway sights of rural and semi-urban Uganda with several fruit & vegetable markets along the roads, craft and drum makers and a stop at Uganda’s Equator monument. Here you are to be both in both the northern and southern hemispheres across the imaginary Equator line. After the experience at the Equator, the drive will continue to with a stop over in Mbarara for lunch before proceeding to Bwindi with short bathroom stopovers and picture sessions of landscape and other attractions.
Journey time – 8 hours
Meal plan – lunch & Dinner
- Up market – Buhoma Lodge
- Mid-range – Haven lodge
- Budget – Buhoma community rest camp
Day 2: Gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable forest
Today early morning your driver guide will pick you up from the lodge and transfer you to the briefing point by 7 am before you start your gorilla trek at 8 am. On arrival at the briefing place, you will be welcomed and given seats until time of briefing as your driver guide registers you with the ranger on duty to be allocated for a gorilla family. You will eventually meet your ranger guide and start your gorilla trek in the jungles of Bwindi. We advise you to take a long a porter to carry your day park because sometimes the gorillas could be located a distance far from the start of your trek, they can also help push or pull you along the steep slippery paths in the forest.
Optional – afternoon community walk
Meal plan – Breakfast, lunch & Dinner
Day 3: Transfer to Entebbe
Today you drive back to Kampala. Have lunch at the Equator and enjoy picture sessions in both the northern and southern hemispheres. This will mark the end of your lovely Uganda holiday. Transfer to the airport to catch your flight back home.
Meal plan – Breakfast & Lunch
Gorilla trekking tips
- Mountain gorillas sometimes nest far from the start of your gorilla trek, you should pace yourself and drink plenty of water.
- Eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden – designated time and place will be communicated.
- Bwindi being a tropical forest, it can rain anytime so we encourage you to carry a rain poncho
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are essential.
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest to avoid insect stings.
- Photography is permitted, although you must not use flash
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a small charge.
- Gorilla tracking permit
- Ground transport
- Bottled water in the safari vehicle
- Full board accommodation for two nights
- Service of an English-speaking driver guide
- All mentioned activities except for the optional ones
- Extras at the accommodation i.e. drinks, telephone, laundry etc.
- Tips to porters and driver/ guide